Go Forth Upon Thy Journey
A Refection on Remembrance Day
November 11, 2017
Church of Christ the King, 19 Trinity Ave., Sydney
General Admission: $20.00
Tickets are available at the Curiosity Shop, Charlotte St., Sydney, Chorale members or at the door.
Ryan Billington is a versatile vocalist, arranger and conductor. Since 2004, he has taught private voice, choral/vocal jazz ensembles and various classes in the music department at St. Francis Xavier University including, Songwriters and their Songs, Songwriting Workshop and Women and Popular Music. His main areas of interest are jazz/pop vocal performance, vocal pedagogy, choral ensemble direction and arranging for small vocal ensemble settings. In 2011, his student vocal ensemble EXTRA from StFX was featured nationally on CBC Radio 2 Choral Concert with host Peter Togni.
Ryan completed a Master of Music in Voice performance and Jazz at Western Michigan University in 2002. Prior to his appointment at StFX, Ryan performed as a professional choral singer in Toronto with the Nathaniel Dett Chorale and other professional choral ensembles.
In recent years, Ryan has performed across Atlantic Canada in jazz, oratorio, musical theatre and choral settings. He has held the position of assistant director for the Halifax Camerata Singers and has also performed and recorded with the Canadian Chamber Choir.
Recent original compositions of Ryan’s include “Atacama, Gateway to the Stars” written for Toronto mezzo-soprano Ali Garrison and piano (2015), and original music for plays by American playwright Sarah Ruhl – Eurydice (Theatre Antigonish 2017), and Stage Kiss (Festival Antigonish 2017).
Ryan directs the Antigonish Choral Ensemble, and as of September 2017 has begun his first season as Artistic Director and Conductor for the Cape Breton Chorale.
Ryan will conduct the chorale concert on November 11 at Christ the King Anglican Church in Sydney, NS.
Join the Cape Breton Chorale!
Our 46th season of singing will begin Thursday September 6, 2018 and continue until late April of 2019 under the direction of our director Ryan Billington.
We welcome auditions from singers who find that they fit most of the following criteria:
- Singers with either little, some, or advanced training are welcome to audition.
- Experience singing in choral settings or ensemble settings in productions.
- Understanding of some basics of vocal technique or demonstrated vocal confidence in your audition performance.
- Openness to learning different styles of music in an ensemble setting.
Assets to the Chorale include:
- Commitment to rehearsals and performances.
- Willingness to study and learn concert music outside of rehearsal – independently or with rehearsal aids.
- Openness to learning new skills and expanding upon existing skills (vocal, aural, rhythm, reading, movement).
For the audition:
- Please prepare one or two selections showcasing your best performance.
- Be ready to experiment with your voice for a few minutes – this may involve some simple patterns across your range.
- We will work with you in reading a passage of music, and we will also test your aural skills.
- An accompanist can be provided. You may bring your own accompanist if you wish.
Auditions will be held throughout the summer months. Please contact us to arrange an audition!